Submitted: 07-11-2011 by ActiveGrandad

I first saw this Pelican Pursuit 100 in a local discount store in early spring and knew I was hooked. I acquired this craft on 7/3/11. Maiden voyage was on 7/4. (just couldn't wait). I put off purchasing it because of the price. Long story short, price dropped to below 180 over July 4th week-end. My daughters & their husbands showed up on 7/2 to deliver my EARLY 65th birthday gifts. Gift cards to more than cover the purchase price and a 230cm paddle plus tax (already bought the PFD on sale at Gander Mountain)! What great offspring!

I put in on a local river at a city park here in northeast Indiana. This was my first time in a Kayak but I had spent 3+ years aboard a submarine a few decades ago. I even swam at the spot International Date Line intersects the Equator. The first 5 minutes were a little shaky until I got the feel of the craft and the paddle. I headed upstream, having a turn-around landmark in mind. I reached the landmark but the yak just would not stop(grn). I continued on and, based on elapsed time, found a resting spot before turning around and returning to the starting point. I checked the distance later and found I had navigated 8.5 miles in about 3 hours.

I am 5' 10" and tip the scales at 145lbs. I had absolutely no problems with the yak. The foot rests are as solid now as they were when I got into the yak. Maybe I just don't push against them as much as others might. I had difficulty early keeping it straight. I chalk this up to lack of experience. I did much better and obtained acceptable results after about 30 minutes of tweaking my paddling technique. I am anxious to work out some alterations/additions to enhance the experience while keeping safety in mind.

I'm only off the water today (4 day work weeks are wonderful) because it is my wife's birthday. I've already charted my next trip on another local river, a 20 miler. Wishing you all calm waters and smooth sailing (paddling).