Submitted: 07-11-2011 by johnny

I bought two Pelican 100's about a year ago. I use them on local creeks and have had them on some more aggressive rivers in Northern Wisconsin. I was happy as a clam and thought (and still think) they were a heck of a good value. The places I've taken them are usually quite shallow and almost always rocky.

I noticed after a short time that they both were getting unusual discoloration on two spots of the hull. After further investigation I realized that the color change was from two of the three seat supports pushing downward while I scraped away the outer layer of plastic. I weigh about 200lbs and on the first day of my second season of use, I had a hole through the hull. This is clearly a design flaw which could be remedied by adding an additional layer of plastic under the seat to prevent these outward dimples from even getting started. I strongly suggest anyone who has one of these and weighs very much to try this. This is also happening to another of the same boats that my brother purchased at the same time. He only weighs 170lbs.

These boats are fun and more capable in whitewater than one might think. Especially with the available spray skirt. Given the price, I would have rated it much higher, had I not had these problems. I will find out this afternoon if the two year hull warranty will be honored by the seller. The factory rep I spoke with put it upon them to satisfy me. To sum it up this is a good value, but watch out for the design flaw. Especially if the boat will be scraping much gravel and rock. Also I suggest buying and carrying a repair kit on any long trip. I don't know how one would weld without electricity though. The best boat for the money is the one you can afford. No boat = no fun.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: