Submitted: 07-05-2011 by DJT

I've had my Sportsrig trailer for about 2 years, now. I use it to haul 2 kayaks to the various places I paddle in the general area. When I first ordered the trailer, it took about 6 weeks to get it. I had to make a mount for my license plate, because the mount that came with it was too flimsy and the plate would hit the tire. The next problem I had was with one taillight shorting out where the wire was pinched between the light fixture and the trailer. Then I had a problem with the lights not working due to a grounding issue.

In the two years I've been using it, it has developed some serious corrosion issues. The powder coating on the load bars didn't last a year. I would expect some corrosion from salt water, but I don't think the trailer is going to last 5 years at the rate it's going.

And finally, the reason I'm writing this review, now, is that I had not ever mounted my spare tire, due to the short distances I travel there was no need to risk having it stolen. As I am preparing for a longer trip, I decided to mount the spare tire under the trailer where it is stowed. I could not get the bolt to thread into the nut that is welded to the trailer. At first I thought the problem was corrosion, and maybe it was, but after lots of time with a can of WD40, axle grease, and as much torque as I could muster, screwing the bolt in and back out, over and over, I finally decided that the threads on the bolt don't match that nut, or something. I'm off to the hardware store to get a tap to rethread that nut. If that doesn't work, I'll have to make room for the tire in the trunk.

Given what that trailer cost, I would expect it to have not required engineering changes on day 1, and I would have hoped for a little better corrosion protection.
I must go now, to fix some more wiring problems and try to get that spare mounted. Considering I could have built that trailer for about $600 to $800, and I paid about $1850 for it, I would not recommend it to anyone. However, it does tow well and the overall design is good, so if money is no option, and you don't mind fixing some things... If I had it to do over, I'd have built it myself and saved a lot of money.

NRS: