Submitted: 08-20-2000 by kayakanne

For two years now, I have been renting at least 20 different types of kayaks, both touring and recreational, from all the leading companies, in order to get to know what would be best for me as an enthousiastic novice paddler. I've had a chance to experience different paddling conditions, either on lakes and rivers near my Montreal residence, and in the Cape Code waters, where I spend my summers. So far, I have taken this great Pungo out in the bays and open waters of the Cape, as well as on narrow tidal rivers, for a total of three entire days, which is not a lot. But it is already enough to feel amazed by it's potential, especially when I compare the Pungo with all the other kayaks I've tried in the past. Wow!!! Actually, I liked it so much and found it so versatile, I am now considering buying it, even if I plan some multi-days trips each summer. On choppy waters (2-3 feet bay waves) it is still a charm. It really turns on a dime and tracks like an arrow in all sorts of water conditions (very amazing for a recreational kayak!). As a large paddler, I found it was very easy to get in and out the boat. Now,why a 9 instead of a 10? Because of the foot braces: they're rather small and not quite comfortable.

Thunder Bay Tourism: