Submitted: 07-01-2011 by mceb
The 2011 Pamlico 135T is a great recreational tandem kayak for flat water paddling. For 2011 they improved the outfitting, the seats are comfortable and adjust on the fly via rails that run along the sides up off the floor. The boat is heavy but all tandems are. Because the Pamlico 135T is a foot or so shorter than most tandems, it actually weighs a little less than many 14-15 footers. The weight is manageable, I can even pick it up and rest on my shoulder to move it around a launch site by myself. Getting it up on our truck requires a bit of a system to not lift the entire weight. I slide ours up the tailgate of our pickup truck into roof saddles.

At 13.5 feet long the Pamlico 135T tracks pretty well for a wide boat (31"). Primary stability is super good on flat water which the kayak is intended for. The flat bottom is great to get into really shallow water, we are fine even into a foot of water. With the front seat adjusted up we don't hit paddles. My wife who sits in the front likes her seat adjusted up pretty far anyway. She's 5' tall, 105 lbs and I'm 5'8" tall, 165 lbs in the rear seat.

Storage is very good. We have 2 dry bags up front under the bow (a 10L and 8L), the stern hatch is small but fits a few items (small 3L dry bag, throw rope and a very small set of kayak wheels). There is additional space behind the rear seat as well. Entry and exit is easy with the super big cockpit. There is a foam block in the bow and a sealed rear bulkhead to help with floatation.

All-in-all a great rec boat if you keep it in quiet flat waters. The large cockpit and wide/flat bottom won't do well in rougher open waters.

Aqua-Bound: