Submitted: 06-27-2011 by PHmaddnes

My wife and I went out last weekend and bought a pair of Old Town RUSH kayaks at Bass Pro. We had been looking for a few weeks and were planning on buying a tandem because financially and cargo wise it made more sense. That was until we saw the price of the Rush (just under $250ea.) So purchased a pair, just because.

I'm 6' 210lbs getting in made me a little shaky at first (I haven't been in a kayak in 25 years). Once in, I found the seat to be very comfortable with plenty of back support. Trying to reach in and adjust the foot rests was nerve racking until I realized I could press and adjust the slide with my foot. Although I liked the 1/2 spray skirt (especially the built in Beer holder :-) ) It made me feel claustrophobic so I removed it and stuck it behind the seat. We paddled a small lake next to our house for about 4 hours.

The Rush tracks perfectly straight, is simple to maneuver and light enough to paddle all day I do feel like it plows through the water and the bow dips easily when paddling hard/fast. I don't feel as if it sits low in the water (i.e. too small for me)just that the bow sits lower than the stern. Wife says it doesn't appear that way so it may just be me. We'll see if this presents a problem on the Cape next week and in currents.

There is PLENTY of room to store gear behind the seat so I may pack all the gear next trip to see if this raises the bow some. The weight of this kayak makes it a breeze putting on and taking it off of the SUV. My wife is 5'4" and considerably lighter than I and didn't have a single complaint about the kayak, only compliments.

Overall if you are looking for an inexpensive way to get into Kayaking I would recommend the RUSH to start with.
Now I just have to figure out how to get 4 Kayaks on top of the SUV...

Pelican Intl.: