Submitted: 06-20-2011 by jake703

I struggled for a bit between a canoe and a second kayak to join my Tsunami 16 foot kayak. I wanted the canoe advantages of taking my lab with me, coolers and a ton of gear...but also wanted to be able to go out with the wife together with the tsunami so wanted a second kayak. This boat serves both purposes and does so impressively.
    Pros:
  • It tracks very straight...as straight as my 16 footer.
  • Decent enough speed to go play around with the other kayaks.
  • Very stable...my dog can walk around and I can walk around in the kayak with no fear of tipping.
  • The multiple seating options are more useful than one would imagine. On long paddles it is amazing how changing your position or sitting up on the perch for a while really helps change things up.
  • It is a dream to accessorize...rudders, trolling motors, angler gear, coolers, cargo skirts. If you are a gadget person you can really individualize this boat.
  • Entry and exit. It has the advantages of a sit-on-top with the dry ride of a SINK.

Cons:

• It is a bit heavy, but for me the 12 foot length sort of cancels out the weight disadvantage for loading.
  • It does not glide through the water, it pushes through. I expected this and it is still a very enjoyable paddle.
So in summary I would not want to take this places I would not take a canoe. As long as you view it in that setting (slow to moderate moving rivers, lakes, creeks)you will be hard pressed to find a boat that does so many things well. I do not find the lack of a flat floor any problem but it is certainly worth considering. Outfit this thing in camo...add a couple storage skirts and you have the ultimate nature attack vessel... being one part kayak, one part canoe and even one part Jon boat if you want to take it that far.

Aqua-Bound: