Submitted: 06-17-2011 by RJH

This sit-inside fishing kayak, is remarkably accommodating to tall and husky people. I am comfortable in it at 6'1" and 245#, and my 6'3" sons are equally comfortable. Old Town designers have done an excellent job of balancing a large cockpit with a streamlined hull, and although it is short it glides and tracks nicely.

Due to its short length and large cockpit, open deck area for customization is limited. For example, the fore deck has rigging in place that is just right to hold my small lopping shears; large lopping shears probably wouldn't fit well though. With some extra pad eyes and bungies, the well in the back is large enough for a limited amount of cargo and a small cooler. Certainly sufficient to carry one's lunch, a snack or two, and hydration for a day on the water.
The two flush-mount rod holders are behind the paddler.
At 44#, this boat is easy to launch and load.

Old Town customer service was excellent. Once I got mine home, I discovered the right footrest was installed backwards, and to correct that I would have to destroy the stop that prevents the adjustable slider from falling out. A call to Old Town customer service and a couple of replacement stops were shipped right away.

This yak fills a particular niche probable as well or better than any other I could find as I did my research. I wanted a sit-inside for year-round fishing (and fishing in cold water); large enough to handle me, my gear, and my cooler. I also wanted it to be short enough to transport in the bed of my pick-up, which also has a deep toolbox in it. With this yak, I got all that I really cared about. The one customization that I really need, a flush Scotty mount so I can put a video camera up on a pole, should be possible even accounting for the limited deck space.

If the right foot had been installed properly by the factory, I would give this yak a 10. I probably got the only one ever that wasn't installed right, its just something to look at before you take possession of yours!