Submitted: 06-17-2011 by Foxes

I love the speed of the new yak...and am adapting to fiberglass Kevlar composite. I love SOTs.

Boat has a HUGE waterline & is supposed to be very fast. Goes straight very well. I'm having trouble with turns, especially upstream. I feel much more confident that I can go a bit more into the open water with the Kestrel and get back more easily. The Kestrel is better for more difficult paddles.

The 2010 kayak is a year old. Seat is not impressive. Ripped at a seam and the velcro is coming off. so I ordered a SKWOOSH.

Drainage is inadequate...no drainage in seat.

Kestrel has some things I wish were better. But she is a beauty...and for dry storage...she cannot be beat. Hard to get into hatches, but anything you need should be easily accessible on top. Note: ALWAYS loosen the hatch after each trip...so the seal doesn't crimp.

I rinse the kayak especially the foot pegs after each use (especially after salt water). My yak is white. For Florida white may be an ideal color.

It IS easier to wet entry. I use a double paddle with sling backwards reentry method. But I only need one paddle float with a dual float. NOTE: use stiff paddles only. I use spare paddles rigged underside the kayak with webbing.

Tippy? Not exactly. Has a very slight "rock" due to slight v bottom. It was easy to get adjusted but I am aware.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: