Submitted: 06-15-2011 by topshot

I just bought two of these kayaks at $296 each when REI had them on sale. After I got it home, I noticed one of the kayaks was quite warped on the bottom so I returned it to the store. They happened to have another one in the store but that one, too, was warped, so they ordered me another one. After several days' wait, the order came in and it was fine. Unfortunately, I had in the meantime noticed that the 2nd kayak I'd originally gotten was slightly warped along the bottom, too.

At this point I was exasperated and didn't really feel like driving yet again to REI to return it and wait for another. I contacted Emotion and they said that the kayaks warp from leaving them out in the sun and probably that had happened somewhere from the time it left the factory until it arrived at the store. They said the solution was to let it warm up and then the plastic's "memory" would return it to shape, and if the warp was bad enough I could "mold" it back into shape with my hands. This did not work. The REI manager said that for every 5 kayaks they receive from Emotion, 4 are warped. He said that the Glide's materials are of very thin density and he could not really recommend this kayak at all. That said, better made kayaks are about $100 more, and that is beyond my budget, so I stuck with the Emotion.

We took the kayaks out yesterday to (finally!) to Daniels Dam in Ellicott City in MD and the water was extremely shallow and like glass. So, I can't say I got to "test" the kayak because under those conditions paddling was effortless. That said, the kayak tracked nicely and with some speed. I'll be interested to see how it does in deep lakes with some wind, which is what we'll mostly be faced with when we bring the kayak to Maine. Interestingly, we met a lady who was trying out her Emotion Comet at the same time, and she was miserable because the Comet tracked so poorly; she said she felt she had to expend a lot of effort and was more tired than after a day of rock climbing!

I bought the Emotion Glide because of price, short size, and weight. Overall I thought it was a nice ride, but the quality control (or lack thereof) made me give it a lower rating.