Submitted: 06-15-2011 by kroakjr
This review is after having this boat for over a year. The Apex 130T is Pelican's tandem wonder. My wife and I were first introduced to the APEX 130T when some friends of ours asked us to go kayaking with them near Allen's Fresh in Southern MD. We had never been kayaking before. Being raised in the Boy Scouts, I had been canoeing dozens of times, but middle age set in, and I never realized the joy of kayaking. We had a great time on the water using their APEX 130T, so I went out the next day and bought one of our own at Sports Authority in Waldorf, MD for $430. I couldn't wait for the wife to get off of work, so I took it out solo, and it did just fine without a front paddler. I had very little windage problems, and it was comfortable enough for an entire afternoon.

Since then, We've probably put over 50 miles on the orange beast as a family. My 11 year old paddled it with ease by herself after I purchased two more kayaks, so we could each have our own. The good thing about this boat is that we could invite friends/couples who have never kayaked before (like our friends did for us), and they could enjoy a very stable ride. We did this many times, and have since been responsible for spreading the kayak fever to others.

A very important reason I love this boat is that we have another 9 y.o. daughter with severe special needs who cannot hold her head up. She has never spoken or moved, but she has a smile worth a thousand words. We found a special life jacket for her, and her older sister held her in the front seat of the APEX 130T, and we crossed a 2-3 mile stretch of the lower Potomac River with her. She was beaming. The water was typical big river water, and we stopped on an Island in the middle. It is a VERY STABLE PLATFORM, and there was plenty of room for our picnic gear and extra paddle. We've even taken the family dog on board with no problems at all.

If you are a family who's looking at getting into kayaking, and are looking for a cheap entry to the sport, then I highly recommend the APEX 130T. You can find them most anywhere, however I prefer Dick's Sporting Goods rather than Sports Authority for their selection. That's a whole other review.

Pro's - Stability, plenty of room, easy to maneuver, easily accessorized with day hatches.

Con's - A little heavy for a single lift, but not bad. I haul in the bed of my pickup with the tailgate down and a flag hanging from the back.
P.S. I also own two Perception Caster 12.5's for fishing.