Submitted: 06-14-2011 by riverdave
Last week I picked up my long awaited Shadow from Joe Moore at Placid Boatworks. I've been a lifetime paddler with experience in paddlecraft ranging from surf ski racing to freestyle canoeing and can confidently express that the Shadow (designed by the legendary David Yost) is the finest boat I've ever set my butt in.

At 26 lbs. it is feather light. The construction is artistic and impeccable. It's first outing was a 3 day 45 mile paddle and portage trip through the Adirondack region. Facing strong winds and moderate waves the Shadow holds a course confidently in all directions with weathercocking close to non existent. The boat is ridiculously fast, has remarkable and predictable secondary stability, and when leaned over turns on a dime. While promoted as a pack canoe (intended for double paddle) the boat paddles effortlessly with a single stick.

Dealing with Joe Moore is a joy and while the Shadow is rather pricey, it is unquestionably worth every penny!