Submitted: 08-18-2000 by Wild Bill

I just bought a beautiful used fiberglass Arluk 1.9 for my first boat and find that its going to take some getting used to.I have been borrowing my friends boats and have made the jump to a boat that could hopefully keep up with more experianced paddlers. I had tested the Looksha Sport and IV and found them to be much more stable as I had expected. What I didn't expect was the constant energy required to maintain balance in slightly rougher conditions in the Arluk.It is described to have low intitial stability and med secondary stability, which I agree with. Its still hard for me to relax in after 6 days and about 25 miles of paddles. I know it will take time to get used to, but I now realize the difficulty in starting out with a boat thats made for more advanced paddlers.I am still trying to figure out why a touring kayak such as the Arluk would be designed with this intial low stability abd secondary medium stability and what it's advantages will be when I learn to handle it better.