Submitted: 06-07-2011 by DV

Victoria, BC Canada - Tarpon 120 Angler - Ocean fishing for salmon, halibut, flounder, rockfish and lingcod. Freshwater fish for trout, bass and carp.

Owned and fished from several brands of SOT kayaks now, including but not limited to Ocean Kayak Malibu, Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro, Hobie Maui,and NuCanoe, and the Tarpon 120 is a great mix of everything, and a superior boat to all of them in my opinion.

After paddling a fast but tippy scupper pro, and a very very very slow but stable NuCanoe, I feel that the Tarpon 120 Angler is a great combination of speed and stability, and it does not sacrifice any comfort to achieve this. I have no issues spending 4-8+ hours in this kayak, and have no back fatigue as of yet. The hatches are dry, the factory rod holders couldn't be in a better place and the amount of storage room in the little boat is staggering. I fish this yak in the chuck, some big chuck at that, in freshwater lakes and rivers and it has not failed me yet. I have not tried any whitewater with the boat, but that will likely change this summer.

To be fair, and not only critique the good, the one thing I would say is a negative to this boat (and many other SOT's) is that for a shorter person, it's hard to reach the front section of the kayak where they have placed the little spots to mount Scotty accessories, but this isn't really a problem because the factory rod holders work so damn good.

All in all, I would give this kayak a 10 out of 10, simply because no other kayak has come as close to perfect for me as this one has.