Submitted: 06-01-2011 by Frank Caan

My daughter and I just bought a used disco 169 a couple of weeks before Memorial day. We live in a mountain resort community with Lake Gregory about five miles from home. Now, I've read about a lot of fantastic comments about the disco and one major concern about the weight. I can attest to the accuracy of all those statements. However, with all the weight issue, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just watched a guy on the same lake later in the afternoon paddling like a madman--in 12 mph wind--to keep his inflatable canoe in check while I used a basic J-stroke to hold my headline true and accurate with little to no effort at all. Here's the kicker (I'm all of 5'6" @ 170 lbs.). When he saw me muscling the canoe onto my SUV--which was not a big deal after I've worked out a method--He had the nerve to comment, "Go inflatable!" I looked at him and said, "You didn't look like you were having all that much fun out there." The guy just gave me a dirty look, and tossed his inflatable in the back of his truck and hauled off. I had 6 1/2 hours of fun and a few nice trout for supper, to boot.

New York Kayak Co.: