Submitted: 05-31-2011 by lamprey

First of all, this is my first 16 footer and my first skeg boat. I owed a few expedition class (18'/19') kayaks in the past but not an all around boat like this one. So, I really have limited knowledge about all the 16'/17' boats out there that I can compare with. To say the least, as a beginner edger, this boat ROCKS (in the good sense). I can edge this boat all the way pass the coaming and the boat feels very solid. Paddling on the edge feels very secure. This is a great boat for anyone who wants to improve their edging, rolling, and other kayaking techniques.

This boat doesn't feel like 21.5" width at all, it has excellent primary stability and excellent secondary stability, the only draw back is lack of speed. It feels like a dead weight when you want to paddle fast, maybe all 16 footer are like that, that I just cannot say.

Overall, I am very impressed with this boat. If you don't do expedition, you definitely should demo the Capella 161