Submitted: 05-28-2011 by SLT

I bought the T140 late in 2009 which is the newly designed model. This was my first SOT kayak purchase and after a few months of paddling it, I sold my 16 ft. sit in expedition sea kayak. This kayak offers much more freedom and piece of mind, especially on solo adventures. Not only can you dive and swim and get back in the kayak without issues, the T140 will carry a ton of gear for kayak camping. I am 5'8" and 170 lbs. and carry at least 100 lbs. of gear with no problems in performance from this kayak. SOT's will get some water in them, but to plug them on ocean paddles defeats the design of them. If you do not want to get wet on the water (?) do not get a SOT kayak.

This boat is a fantastic performer in the ocean, which is the only place I paddle being in Washington state, it is very stable for a 28" width, even with gear, tracks very well with the rudder up and exceptional with the rudder down. I highly recommend anyone looking into getting a SOT kayak, to go rent one of the Tarpons and try them out for yourself, I am sure you would be impressed...