Submitted: 05-27-2011 by John

I just bought two of these at Dick's sporting goods. I knew they were beginning kayaks when I bought them. I go out fishing in mine at least once a week. My fishing holes are all saltwater in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. The kayak takes waves regularly of 8-14 inches over the bow and no water gets in. I don't have a spray skirt.

I did make a few modifications to them to make them more usable. I added an anchor cleat to the bow area and an anchor. DO NOT add the anchor cleat to the side or the wind/waves will force the kayak sideways to the waves. The cleat in the front allows the kayak to take waves bow first. I added paddle clips to the sides for while I'm fishing. I cut out the bottom of the back recessed storage area so that I now have access to the entire back half of the kayak. I added a recessed fishing pole holder to the back. The key thing I did was to add 2 part polyethelene floatation foam. I poured 2 cubic feet in the nose and two cubic feet under/around the seat area. For the seat area I duck taped around the edge of the seat and sides and poured the foam in from the hole I cut out in back. This gives 240lbs of floatation at the cost of adding 8lbs to the overall weight and effectively seals the back half of the kayak from the front half providing even more floatation in case it swamps. The best deal on this stuff is at US Composites www.uscomposites.com. You can get 2 cubic feet worth for $20.

Overall I would give two thumbs up for these kayaks to anyone who is just getting started. I would spend the extra money to add some of the niceities that makes the kayak that much more usable for something like fishing.