Submitted: 05-24-2011 by SK

I'm an avid and experienced open ocean sea-kayaker who's paddled his 18' Chesapeake West River all along the coast of Maine - I know a good boat when I paddle one! I was looking for sturdy and decent handling little plastic beater boat to run some of the bony New England creeks and rivers that would destroy my mahogany boat. I stumbled on this boat at Costco and after some comparison shopping figured that, although it's heavy for its size, it seemed well designed and very good deal, pricewise (329 including a serviceable paddle and a one of those foam block rooftop carriers with straps).

I've paddled it twice, and actually like it.
Comfortable to sit in, room for my size 11 1/2 feet and 180 lb self (and I can put the footpegs beyond the reach of my feet), very stable, and tracks surprisingly well for such a short boat. Definitely not an open water boat, or one you'd want to spend the day in. It's not fast, either, but performs as well as any short boat I've paddled. I'm definitely keeping it, and buying a skirt to fit it, too. The same hull with slightly different deck designs is sold by Dick's, EMS, and REI. Costco's deal is by far the best.

Cannon Paddles: