Submitted: 08-16-2000 by Jerod

I bought my Carolina new in 1999 for $620. It has no rudder, but came with deck-rigging and thigh-braces. This was actually less than I had planned to spend, but I didn't want to go nuts on my first boat. I think this is one of the best value boats out there. Two hatches, a good amount of storage for a 14'-6" boat, and pretty solid speed, tracking and stability. Perception makes the most comforable boats out there too, which is a bonus on long trips. The only problem I have is with the hatch size, a lot of stuff is a pain to work through the tiny openings, and the cheaper rubber caps don't keep my stuff nearly as dry as my girlfriend's Eclipse with the neoprene gaskets and plastic covers. Of course her boat was used and still $250 more than mine. The Carolina is, however, an awesome boat for little $$$. I've put tons of miles on, touring, surfing, and just meandering around my house. I can honestly say that I wish I'd have gotten a longer, faster boat, but for the money the Carolina is a really solid package. Highly recommended !