Submitted: 05-17-2011 by Sammy River Rat

I bought this on ebay, along with a one man pathfinder kayak, which seemed comparable and similar. I bought these for "loaners" to get some friends to go with me on a camping trip to the Big South Fork River. They almost look to be made by the same company. They are both decent kayaks for the price, but I prefer the K2 explorer. It hauls more gear and holds less water on your bum.

Both of them track poorly like every other inflatable, but both make up for it, since they turn on a dime. If you are looking for tracking DO NOT BUY ANY inflatable. They are meant to be maneuverable, not to go in a straight line. I admit that I have never tried the included tracking fins, though.

Both are a wetter ride than my Aire Lynx, but they also cost 1/5 of the price, 1/7th of the price if you count paddles, pumps, etc. The Pathfinder developed a slow leak in the left tube, which was easily repaired. The K2 has had no problems, besides one of the tie down rings broke. This is my second summer with the k2 and I sold the pathfinder this spring. I have had no other problems so far, and they have been on 25+ runs. I still like my AIRE kayaks much better, but for the price, these are EXCELLENT kayaks.

As another reviewer said: The paddles are ok, but they are the weakest link. If you get these into over class 2 waters, or on an overnight trip, you should get new paddles.

I give the k2 a 9 and the pathfinder an 8. I plan on getting another K2, and my friend bought one right after our trip last year. I would recommend these to any kayaker on a budget. I was really surprised!