Submitted: 05-16-2011 by G Perkins

Well, rating Canoes is like rating shoes..... You can rate for a specific function but giving an overall rating on a shoe is nearly impossible. For instance, baseball cleats would make horrible dress shoes,and dress shoes would make horrible running shoes but they are all good for what they are designed for.

In that sense I would call the Guide 147 a good pair of "walking" shoes. Durable, good enough looking and comfortable in a few different situations....
It isn't going to win any races, and I wouldn't take it down any major white water with the shorts sides. But for a general purpose very affordable, quality canoe I would recommend for the average recreational canoer.

Being 6'2" 290 and unable to kneel with a bum knee canoes def can get tippy on me, but the secondary stability on this is very good. I take my 5 yo and 6 yo out in this canoe and we fish in it just fine. It is a bit heavy but I am fine to carry alone the short distances. Love the durability of it and love the price ($450 in 2010 at Sports Autority).

Sure it handles like a barge in the wind but that is the trade off with the stability, thick material it is made from and low sides for easier paddling. NO canoe does everything perfect, but i say for 70% of your canoers out there this is a great fit.