Submitted: 05-11-2011 by noman

I recently purchased a 2011 Current Design Whistler. This is a 14 1/2' long x 24" wide plastic kayak. The cockpit and seat have been re-designed for 2011. I had my eye on the previous generation Whistler but felt the cockpit was too constricting, and needed more leg & foot room.

The 2011 model is exactly what I expected. A plastic kayak that runs fast, track good, and with the re-designed seat and cockpit fits me real well! The rocker allows me to turn like it's a 12' kayak which is great for back waters. The length and weight (57 lbs) is maximum for what I want to carry & store. This is my 6th kayak starting from 9 1/2' going from 12' to 13 1/2' to the 14 1/2' Whistler. There is ample room in the bow and stern hatches for equipment.

Current Designs may not be as well know as Perception or Wilderness Systems, but you would be amiss not to check them out when you are ready to purchase a new kayak. I gave it a 10 even though I am very wary of rating inflation. Everyone seems to love the kayak they have, I believe mostly from lack of exposure to other manufacturers. It's the best boat in its class from all of my research over the years.

My advice to anyone looking for a kayak is to get the maximum length for your over-all needs, go as skinny as possible, and note the hull design & degree of rocker from one manufacturer to another. It all effects tracking, efficiency, maneuverability, and rough waters.