Submitted: 05-09-2011 by liv2paddle

I bought the Impex to replace a Tempest kevlar which was getting to heavy for me to handle. I own the non-gelcoat version of this boat which weighs in at 43 lbs..nice. Having paddled the Tempest for four years..I was very picky about the next boat. I must say this yak comes very close to a Tempest without the weight.

It is tight in foot area..if you are a guy..no more then a 9 1/2 shoe will fit comfortably. The keyhole entrance is nice if you are not more then 5'10 you can seat in boat and slide feet in ..not so with the Tempest. I sit high in the boat.. higher then the Tempest..so that took time to get used to..but I now prefer it. The hatches are bone dry.

The boat is very responsive. I feel faster in this boat..but that's unsubstantiated. It's just a feeling.

Negatives: impossible to adjust foot pegs after you are in the boat.unlike the Tempest...hatches are very difficult to get on and off..seat in just ok... Wilderness is much better.

Positives: great looking..handles well in all conditions..good tight hatches...relatively fast boat built for small to medium paddler under 5'10 175 lbs tops. with smallish feet.(under size 10)

Black Lagoon Products, LLC: