Submitted: 05-08-2011 by Mutt

Having read all the reviews on this site I went ahead and placed an order for a Old Town pack canoe. Went and picked it up from the local REI the other day and after getting it licensed and legal I headed to the lake. Took me only a few minutes to get my balance right, and before long I was on my merry way. I paddled for about an hour and half and then had to attend to other business. Today I took it out again and paddled around two different lakes in my area. Absolutely no complaints.

What a dream it is to lift onto the roof of my vehicle and portage to the launch. Has not taken me long to develop confidence while handling this boat. Is it tippy? Well, it is a canoe and not a John boat, but I have to say for a canoe of its dimensions it ain't too bad. I've tried kneeling and sitting on the seat. So far sitting on the seat with my legs out before me balances me best and doesn't make my ankles go to sleep.

I plan to use this canoe for fishing, duck hunting and perhaps deer hunting in the Boundary Waters this Fall. If you are in the market for a solo canoe that's darn near bomb proof, and doesn't make you feel for a third nut every time you portage it, then the Old Town Pack is for you.