Submitted: 05-05-2011 by ayyguy

Last week I traveled to Paradise Island on Samal Island in the Philippines. They had Feelfree Gemini kayaks for rent so I decided to try one out. They had two different Geminis to try, one Gemini only had a small hatch in the front and the other had a hatch in the seat area front and rear plus an open storage in the back. Other than that I noticed no difference in the size or shape of the hulls. The one I tried is the latter with the two hatches and open rear storage.

With my fiancee on the front and no paddle I gave the kayak a spin. The kayak paddled decently quick with two people and only one paddle. The kayak was dry and VERY stable with her turning around and moving in the front but the kayak is too wide for my liking and the paddle blades will strike the sides if you're a high angle paddler. Turning was great on this kayak and seemed better than my Necky Dolphin and Perception Prism but still kept a straight course while moving from point A to B. The tupperware type hatch covers didn't stay on very well but they sat high enough that it really didn't matter. The seat was comfortable but it didn't have a seat back. I paddle without one on my other SOT kayaks anyways.

Just for reference I'm 6' tall and 235lbs and my fiancee is 5'3' 106lbs. We both fit the kayak OK and had no problems fitting the footwells properly.

The good: it is a rental kayak and seemed to hold up well, even the lifeguard got up and walked around on it and it appeared pretty stable watching him.
The bad: A little too wide at the top and the hatches didn't fit well and are too small
The ugly: The designers could have added a little more style and functionality rather than making it look like a molten blob of plastic, A pretty ugly kayak but that's just my opinion...