Submitted: 04-27-2011 by Marc Hoogsteyns

The Excursion saved my life many times. Last year I used to cross the Congo-DRC. I paddled down the Lukenie river with this thing (more than 2000 km's). You can look this up on www.bobongo.be. It is extremely stable and fast enough to stay clear of hippos and crocks. After this trip I got a job for the WWF in the mouth of the Congo river and I used this boat to monitor poaching and illegal fishing in the local mangroves reservation. It was stable enough to paddle the Congo river and that river can produce waves of more than 2 metres in the middle. I'm back in Belgium now and I had to leave my Excursion behind in the DRC but after having used it for more than 2 years in the Congolese Heart of Darkness it was basically unscratched. One night I left it behind in a creek and next morning I found it back with a boa constrictor that was taking a sun bath on the cover of one of the seats. I'm looking into the possibility now to organize another expedition on the Lomami river and I'm considering to buy a Posseidon, a boat that is a bit faster. I purchased this boat in the kayak shop in Belgium. Pieter, the owner, is a good friend but he didn't sell me junk. If you're looking for a good boat buy this one.

Botetourt County Tourism: