Submitted: 08-12-2000 by Guido

I've had mine several years now, and am very pleased with the selection. The folks are Mohawk are super on customer service. There is a substantial savings buying factory direct. The Nova 17 (is Royalex) is very well made. I especially like the came seats and wood yolk and thwart. They are nicely sculpted and show good attention to detail. The decks and vinyl gunnels are excellent with no rough edges. I would classify this an a good "all around boat". It does not have the hull speed of some others, but has the stability, load capacity, and comfort to handle most jobs, short of class 3 whitewater ( which I have also run it thru). The royalex is very durable. It does not have a high buoyancy however, but will float at the surface when not loaded and completely filled with water. If you anticipate rough conditions away from shore or are carrying lots of gear I would recommend some small ammount of added flotation to facilitate a self rescue. I do not hestitate to recommend Mohawk products and in particular the Nova 17 for someone looking for an "all round" boat.