Submitted: 04-20-2011 by LesMoore

Got to demo the Cetus LV and MV last weekend at the Port Angeles Kayak Symposium. I weigh 165 lbs, 5'8" tall, size 33 waist, and consider myself an advanced beginner - mostly exercise paddles, plus day touring with friends. But I'm also looking for a boat that can handle some tripping if I pack light and reasonably maneuverable - an "all around" boat.

I agree with most of what Douglas Wilcox had to say about the LV in his excellent extended review. This boat just feels refined and elegant in the water to me. It turns very nicely when edged with a nice gurgle sound when the keel kicks loose. While its no Romany or Chatham 17, the LV carved graceful turns through a line of old dock pylons. The LV also had Excellent build quality, and I like the seat, forward day hatch and all the available options with the LV.

The LV had zero weathercocking in 15 kt winds (0.5 mile fetch) both quartering to the bow and at 90 degrees. In quartaring winds on following seas, there was slight weathercocking which I could eliminate with partial deployment of the skeg. Deployment beyond half way was too much skeg in these conditions.

Initial stability was just fine, even coming from a 24" boat, and the LV cuts cleanly through oncoming waves. The thigh braces were not very aggressive to me, but fine for easy rolling and leaning. The fit was a little more snug than the MV, but I like the extra degree of sportiness of the LV vs. the MV.

The LV feels perfect if I will never do more than a light-weight 2 or 3 night trip with it. The MV is a little more roomy and the added 20 lbs in it's recommended weight range would allow more gear for extended trips, though.