Submitted: 04-18-2011 by kg

Just took my brand new Pack out for maiden voyage. Seven hours of flat water on Prime Hook Creek NWR. Generally exceeded expectations. I'm happy with the purchase.

Paddling
Good stability while paddling on stock height web seat. And I do mean rock solid stability. I plan to lower the seat 2" later this spring. More on that later. Actually surprised by stability compared to my 25 year old Katahdin 12 by Old Town which is a barge with 40" beam.

A telegram for Mr. Paddler
One demerit for the possibility of the boat to send you a rare emergency telegram. Here's what I mean: over the seven hour trip, the boat gave me one or two of those "I'm going over" telegrams. Not bad for a boat like this IMHO. I got the main message when I turned on the stock seat 45 degrees to the left in order to cast my rubber worm at a log deadfall. Whoops! Remains to be seen how close I actually was to buns up in the drink, but it was a wake up. Lesson learned - rotating hips and buns off center on the stock seat disrupts center of gravity. As long as I kept hips face front at midline on the seat - not a single hint of this tipping telegram. Again lower seat may help.

Lightness of Being Carried
I made an optional portage to an adjacent pond that I would never have considered except that the Pack is LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT! Shouldered the boat with fishing rod inside and carried about 150 yards to the pond. Delighted! Car topping is easy with his boat. I use those clip-on foam bricks and it's night and day compared to the old 80 lb. barge I've been using for the past umpteen years.

Conclusion
I'm happy after one seven hour trip and the boat worked well for fishing. Don't turn sideways and fling a lure without a little forethought. Will try lowering the seat. Very light. Delighted.