Submitted: 04-18-2011 by Larry

I've had my Caper several years, but have felt I hadn't used it enough for a knowledgeable review until now. I love my Caper and if it weren't for a minor design oversight, I'd rate it a perfect 10. That is the failure to make the tank well big enough for a milk crate. However, a 16-quart Coleman Excursion cooler fits very nicely in the tank well and holds fishing net, rods, anchor, etc. very nicely.

I chose the Caper as the best combination of moderate weight, stability, length and price at the time, and it has never disappointed. I later added a lighter, faster, costlier sit-in Hurricane Santee Sport 116 for guests, but I still prefer the Caper for fishing. I can get off it and wade or sit sideways with legs in the warm gulf water or swim--it's that stable. Mine is a pre-Angler model, so I added a Scotty rod holder in front of me ($30 installed)and two flush rod holders behind the seat ($15 each installed), making it a fine fishing craft with no need for a milk crate.

There is good information in earlier reviews, but I have news about hull slap. I found there is a "sweet spot" for sitting (for me it's about 6 inches forward of the back of the seat well) that lowers the bow, thus increasing speed and reducing hull slap to next to none. A sand bag or some other weight in the front hatch likely would have the same effect. I put duct tape over the scupper holes in the tank well years ago and it has held ever since. I had no problem with build quality. I'd chose the Caper again today.