Submitted: 04-15-2011 by muskycrazy

I bought the 14.5 tandem at the Canoecopia show in 2008. I fish 150-200 days a year from it and I can tell you that this is by far the best fishing kayak ever made! I musky fish 50% of the time and the 14.5' tandem helps out a lot. I have landed a 58.5 incher with a 31" girth from this kayak. That is probably the biggest fish anybody will ever face using a sit "in" type of Kayak. Yes ocean fisherman can catch bigger fish but they are using sit "on" top kayaks. The reason I bought a tandem is because my wife goes fishing with me a lot and there is more than enough room for two people plus all of the gear needed. The Ultimate paddles easy, floats in skinny water and is rugged enough to run up on shore to get out so I don't have to get wet. That is one of the best reasons to buy this kayak is that you stay dry for the most part at least I do!

I love fishing from a kayak mainly because you can catch more and bigger fish. I know it sound crazy but it is actually true. I use to fish B.A.S.S. tournament for a living in the 1980's and won 4 tournaments and placed 2nd 12 times. I have also competed in some professional musky tournaments and done quite well. I have learned more about fish and fishing from fishing from a kayak than the other 45 years combined. Fishing from a kayak makes you fish all of the water around you. If you are not catching anything you can't just fireup the motor and fly across the lake to the next spot. It forces you to fish everything and you would be surprised at what you'll find. I have found that really big muskies are generally not in the deep water. In 2010 I boated 89 muskies total. 42 muskies were 40" or more and 5 were 50" or more. I would say that if I were still fishing out of a regular boat I would have only caught 20% of those muskies. The reason is simple with a kayak you can get to water that regular boats can't. I take my kayak up into small stream and deep lily pads where no boat could ever go and I catch tons of fish. Fishing from a Native Ultimate kayak is the best investment you can make!