Submitted: 04-12-2011 by James

I am an amateur paddler and recently upgraded from an Inflatable whitewater boat to the Perception Carolina 12. An inflatable boat is a great starter and general all around boat, but I was ready for something with a little better tracking and handling.

I have paddled the Perception Carolina 12 a handful of times so far and I have been very impressed. I have been on the river as well as the lake. I primarily enjoy flat river water paddling and this boat suits my needs well. I am a big guy (5'9" 275 lbs) and this boat is what I call "big guy friendly". It has superior tracking and stability. I will say that it is very hard to turn, but it is a touring boat that is made to go straight. My most recent paddle was up river in high water and moderate winds and I had no problem getting it to go.

I bought this boat used after some research and reading reviews and I will say that it has lived up to what other people have said. I paid about half of the $1000 retail price and found a boat that was in great condition. Both dry hatches have stayed completely dry and they offer a decent amount of storage. The seat is pretty comfortable and is plenty wide enough for me. The back rest adjusts up and down and forward to rear. The cockpit is large enough to allow and easy in/out and even allowed enough room for my dog. The foot pegs are adjustable from the seats reach with a quick adjustment bar.

If you are looking for a boat that tracks well and has good stability, I would definitely recommend the Perception Carolina 12.