Submitted: 04-05-2011 by ECC

I have owned my Zephyr 160 RM for about 18 months and must say that I am extremely happy with the kayak. I am 6'2" and 220lbs with size 13 feet. The boat fits me really well and there is more room in the cockpit than I need.

On the water I have done long distance open water, surf and some flat water paddling. Open water was better than I thought it would be due to the amount of keel rocker. It tracks nice and straight and I seldom use the skeg at all. The seat system is very adjustable. Don't forget the play with the under thigh seat bottom which really adds to the comfort on long trips and while practicing rolls. In the surf it is really in its element. Turns and edges very easily.

My only complaint is the foam bulkhead between the cockpit and the dayhatch. This thing leaks and is going to take considerable work to seal up. I did see that this years model has a new adhesive tape seal for the bulkheads. Hopefully they have solved the leak issues.

Overall this is a great boat that seems to do everything sea kayakers like well. Many kayak stores use this boat for rentals due to its reasonable price so go test one out!