Submitted: 04-04-2011 by fredsolstice

I have the Solstice High Volume in fiberglass and I love it! I am 60 years old, 6-1, 255 pounds, and not at all flexible or agile. Since I'm not athletic, it's a little ungraceful for me to get in and out, but once I'm in the cockpit the boat is fast, stable, and comfortable. I've had this boat for about four and a half years and have put hundreds of miles on it, including numerous seven-day trips. It can carry me plus about 100 pounds of gear in the large front and rear hatches. I don't like having things tied on deck.

It's easy to cruise the High Volume at 4.5 MPH all day long, with a couple of stops to get out and stretch. It tracks straight, but that means it does not turn easily. Since most of my paddling is day cruising on protected bays and bayous this is just what I want my boat to do. Very rarely do I put the rudder down, only using it to stay straight in a cross wind.

The hatches are not 100% watertight and the bungee thing that holds the bow carrying handle broke, but neither of these are a problem. What WAS a problem was the rudder pedals. The Current Designs foot pegs/rudder pedals just did NOT work, so I had them replaced with Wilderness Systems pedals where the whole pedal slides forward and back instead of just steering by pointing your toes. Much better!

Overall, a great boat for this big, arthritic old guy. It's completely stable, fast and comfortable. I tried out dozens of boats before I found this sweetie and I have never regretted buying it. A superb kayak!