Submitted: 03-31-2011 by MJG

I just inherited a Loon 138 from my uncle. He purchased the boat several years ago when he moved to Wisconsin, but it's never been in the water. He and I had been looking for a kayak for me for a few years now, but never found the right one. Well, now I have the perfect boat, but sadly my uncle is gone.

The lakes are still frozen here, but as soon as I can get on the water, I'll be out there paddling. During summers in high school and college (MANY years ago!), I taught flat water and white water canoeing at a Girl Scout camp, but I have limited kayaking experience (some in Oregon and Washington State). Given what I've read on this site, I think the transition to a stable kayak like the Loon 138 should go well for me.

My only concern about the Loon is the weight and trying to load it on top of my Volvo wagon. I have the full car-top rack setup, but this boat is a bit heavier than my old Grumman aluminum canoe :) I'll figure something out and in the process build up some upper body strength no doubt.

Thanks to all who have reviewed the Loon 138 on this site as I've learned a great deal about the boat and its handling properties. Happy kayaking to all!

Mitchell Paddles: