Submitted: 02-22-2011 by osprey
Sweet paddling little tandem. Mine is royalex. The boat is surprisingly stable for its size. It tracks very nicely and has good speed. I use it mostly solo for fishing small lakes and rivers. It is designed with fairly little rocker, I think it is advertised as 1" bow and stern and this is evident in its good tracking and straight ahead speed.

I've tandem paddled it a fair amount with a teenager in the bow and often with a 75lb retriever in the center as added fun. It does very well at this also. We have never used it for camping, but I think it would do fine for a weekend trip for two average sized paddlers with reasonable gear. It does fine on moving water due to good fullness and some flair in the bow, but I think if you are mainly doing rivers you may want something with more rocker. I've only had it out in mild whitecaps and it tracks well and handles that kind of chop fine, and seems likely to handle bigger waves fine too. Mad River now makes the Reflection 15 so the boat is still available and well worth your consideration if you want a small tandem that can be solo paddled.

PFD Buyers' Guide: