Submitted: 02-14-2011 by whiterocknavy

May 2010 I ordered an NC 17 Quest to try the MR340. I'd never been in a Kayak and hadn't padded anything at all in 30 years. I didn't like the idea of buying a boat without trying it out but there aren't many kayaks in my part of the country. So, I took the leap - and I'm glad I did. I spent four or five nights a week and all day Saturday out on the lake trying to get ready. It took me that look to get my body ready for the race but the boat was comfortable on the first day. I had to pretty much teach myself about kayaking but, even without any training, the boat was absolutely great for four days down the Missouri River. At one point I had to make a choice between going over a wing dam or heading out into the main part of the river right behind a fully loaded barge. I took off out into the river and the boat was terrific handling all the crazy waves the barge kicked up for the next mile or so downriver. Never once did I feel afraid of losing it.

There are only a couple of things I'd fault. One is the organization of the lines on the boat. I plan to rig mine differently at some point. I also plan to replace the seat at some point.

Overall, though, I'm very happy with it. It really does track well and, with a little practice, it does turn nicely. This isn't a boat I'd use in a rocky river but I'd go anywhere in open water in it. Good looking, very well built, a lot of fun to paddle long distances.