Submitted: 02-05-2011 by Phillip Taylor

*This is not a review as such, but a few comments by the US importer and distributor of the Bumfortable to help people assess the other review comments for themselves.*

I've been using the Bumfortable in my own kayaks for years now and would not use any other seat. The seats are made from a thermo molded foam rubber (100% recycled) with a smooth surface that gives good rotational movement. The seat fits a wide range of kayaks sizes but you will need to customize the seat installation to get the best fit for you and your kayak. This is normal and standard stuff for any kayak and canoe.

Kocho's comments are correct and that the seat fit will be different for each kayak design. I have three kayaks, one is very narrow and has a Bumfortable Narrow fitted into it that I've modified to suit the kayak and myself. For years this narrow kayak has had no problems with seat comfort, then one day I also started getting a little rub spot on my tailbone. I think it was initiated by a seam in a pair of paddling pants I had been using for too long and really needed to retire. The odd thing was, that after that day I got the same rub spot again with other pants.

To fix the problem I also did what Kocho did and carved a little away from the tailbone area. Then, not happy with that, I cut a hole out on the seat where my tailbone was rubbing. Problem solved! I have seen others cut holes in their seats to account for their particular unique personal shapes. The nice thing about this seat is that you can do this. I recommend though, that you give it some time before you start carving away at the seat.

My other two kayaks are much wider kayaks and use the Wide seat, unsupported on the sides. The fit would be much nicer with the sides braced with foam between the hull and seat but I loan the kayaks out, so leave the seat a loose fit. They are Velcro fixed in place. The sides spread out a bit when I sit in the seat but I get no control problems from this and I get no rubbing anywhere even after many hours of continuous racing.

Fixing a seat is always a personal choice. Everyone wants to do it their own way. Some people like to permanently glue them in. Others use Velcro so the seat can be adjusted or moved to other kayaks. Also like Kocho, I've had seats release during racing, not because the seat is flexing, but because the glue I used has failed in the wet environment. I will find the perfect glue one day!

One way a customer did it was smart. He glued two strips of Velcro beam wise (east west) to the seat. Then in the kayak he glued two strips of Velcro bow stern wise (north south). This I highly recommend. The advantage of this is that you get adjustment in three directions, sideways, length ways and rotational in the vertical.

Another advantage of this method is that when you grab the seat to adjust it, (make sure you run the Velcro up the sides of the seat a little), you can lift using the Velcro. The problem I have encountered is that industrial strength Velcro holds so strongly that the glue will pull free before the Velcro does. So minimizing the Velcro contact area with itself and maximizing the glue contact area is an advantage. You only need a few square inches of Velcro to Velcro contact to make a very strong bond.

So far, contact adhesive seems to be the best but sometimes not great. I think the freshness of the glue, manufacturer, air temperature, etc, all affect the initial bond. If you find a great glue email me and let me know and I'll get it up on the website.

Now a word on the surface of the seat. It is smooth, but it is not hard plastic or fiberglass so the amount of slip is very much dependent on the type of material you are wearing. I find I get good rotation with any lycra or nylon blended material. I use cycling pants for most of my paddling.

Fit is a little friendly when you first sit in it. Like a new pair of shoes or a new mattress, the first few minutes are odd but after 10 minutes it feels like it's part of you. The only person that elected not to use the seat I know of, had prostate issues, and sold the seat to a friend!

As far as price goes, yes the seat is not the cheapest you could buy. It's made using a hand laid up multistage process in a heated, pressure mold. The seat is made in New Zealand where there are labor laws that have minimum pay levels, health benefits, 401k type schemes, and paid vacation and sick leave. All this contributes to the cost. Considering people are spending $3,500 or more on a kayak or canoe and then finding them painful to paddle. The seat often fixed issues that have plagued some people for years or never paddling without discomfort. Some people were considering buying a new boat to fix the problem or giving up paddling, the seat has opened up their paddling world again,(actual customer comments to me).

Steve Gurney has also been listening to the feedback and is developing new seat innovations. I'm working on a new idea I've code named the "PXT Synergos" to make fitting the seat between kayaks a breeze. I'm also adding additional fitting information for the seats and more photos and video of the seats to help everyone understand what they are and how to use them. Canoes are also been outfitted with the seats with great results. Check my website regularly for latest updates, www.pxtkayaks.com.

Regards,