Submitted: 02-05-2011 by CLChriste

I researched trailers for many months until finally deciding on Sportsrig. I read the reviews most of which were more positive than not. The price was higher than others, but there were options offered the others did not have. I ordered a Deluxe with just about every option available.

I placed my order via the website on October 29, 2010. I received an email a few days later stating that the lead time had been extended to 4 weeks. I was OK with this as I purchased it early based upon other reviews on this website. I figured I would be receiving the trailer early to mid December. Mid December came and I had not heard anything, so on the 18th I checked the status of my order and it showed it had been shipped. I had not received an email, so I sent one to the customer service. I was told it was an error and that my trailer was scheduled to ship on the 24th. The 24th came and went. I waited till the 29th and was getting ready to send an email when I received notice that Fed Ex had been notified for pickup. I waited to see the status as picked up on the Fed Ex site only to notice that nothing was happening. I called the customer service on January 4, 2011 and inquired as to the delay. I was informed that they have had continued problems with Fed Ex pickup. They contacted Fed Ex and the order was finally picked up.

I received my 7 boxes on Friday, January 7, 2011. The assembly was easy and all the parts went together well. The only thing missing were the extension lights I ordered. I sent an email and was informed that they would be shipped on the 12th of January. This was unfortunate because I had planned a trip to the Everglades and Florida Keys starting January 20, a trip of 1600 miles one way. The lights did not ship in time for my trip.

The trailer performed great on the interstate even at speeds of 70+ MPH. My wife and I spent the first couple of hours checking our mirrors, but after a while we became comfortable with the trailers performance, which can only be described as great. I enjoyed the fact that I could easily move the trailer when unhitched, even with 4 seventeen foot kayaks on board. When staying at hotels I could choose to block 3-4 spaces like an ass or unhook the trailer and park it next to me. My only concern was with security when I unhooked, however, I came to the conclusion that a couple of U Bolt type bike locks through the wheels and frame would solve that problem. I did have some problems with the taillights not grounding out properly, but this was easily resolved with a 7/16 inch wrench.

I have nothing bad to say about the trailer itself, so far I love it. The Sportsrig customer service has been pretty good they respond quickly and courteously to my emails and phone call. My only complaint is that a company that has shipping problems such as they are having should consider an alternate method. I would have dumped Fed Ex like a bag of used diapers if I were them. The website shows they have other shippers such as UPS available. I finally got the extension lights on February 4, 2011 only after sending an email asking what the hold up was with shipping. The extension lights are OK, but not really worth the money. I received one that is broken. The design is cheap and there is no way to secure them the the kayaks/cargo. I will probably just go buy some lights and wire them up for my own use. I would suggest just finding a male connector to match the female on the trailer and do your own wiring if you have the ability to do so.

I am giving a rating of 7 because of the time it took to fill the order and the problems with shipping which near the end (for the trailer) started to worry me since I had made plans. I hope to use this trailer much more in the future and will make additional posts if I have any concerns. Hopefully this helps anyone who is seriously looking for a trailer. Good Luck.

Talic: