Submitted: 02-03-2011 by yakman1

I wanted a Pygmy boat the first time I saw one on the beach in Oregon back in 2006. Beautiful. After doing some test paddling at the Pygmy shop in Port Townsend, I bought two -- a Tern for me and a Coho for my partner. I agree that the Coho has less initial stability, even though I like its lines a bit better. I put them together in six weeks, with the Coho trailing the Tern by about 5 days (see www.pygmykayaker.com for complete details of my construction experience).

These boats went in the water for the first time in the San Juans and then the following year in Bowron Park, BC, so they've been used for day paddles and week-long expedition paddles. With no previous experience, I think they performed great.

I give them a 9 rating only because the stock seats, thigh bracing, and backrest could be improved. In this regard, the hull design would accommodate whatever the owner wanted to do. I intend to buy another Pygmy, probably a triple Osprey for fishing...