Submitted: 02-01-2011 by PW

I am a big fan of Prijon kayaks and the Touryak is the fourth one I have added to my fleet. I was looking for something that would cruise better than my Combi WW and would be more maneuverable that my Kodiak. This boat really fit that niche. I played around with one of these in my rolling class and decided buy one last spring.

On my first trip out I spent about four hours playing around on Cassadaga Lake in New York. It was very windy and choppy that day. This boat paddled straight with out much weather cocking. It is stable, fairly fast and very maneuverable for it's size. I paddled down the outlet of the lake up to the beaver dam. The outlet narrows down to about three feet wide and I had no problem at all making the meandering turns that trap bigger boats like my Kodiak.

The next outing was in Whitefish Bay area. We got blown off of Lake Superior so we paddled about 10 miles up the Taquamon River. It was extremely windy and had good size waves rolling down stream when wherever the river faced the wind. This boat had no problem at all taking the waves and wind, it was stable and tracked straight.

Like all Prijons it is very sturdy. It has deck lines, cargo nets and dry hatches that really stay dry. It has a couple of nice features for a paddle/float re-entry. The seat is comfortable and adjustable but the back rest always pops our and gets in the way when re-entering. The only thing that I do not like about this boat is that it seems to plow water a bit as if it had to much weight up front, even with the seat all the way back.

If I could only have one boat this is the one I would choose. It is stable enough for fishing, fast enough for touring and can handle big water too.