Submitted: 02-01-2011 by winsum44
Bought my 2008 Cayuga 146 in the spring of 2009. Have used it on mostly flat water and gentle rivers thus far and after two full yakin' years am not disappointed. Handles fine for me, whether just my carcass and few items for a short paddle or pretty loaded up for an extended weekend camping excursion. I understand the concern of others regarding the hull construction, but I'm not experiencing anything structurally with the single layer construction that gives me the feeling of it being "milk jug" like in quality. If the real weight difference is just 3 lbs between the single-layer and 3-layer construction, then my preference would have been the 3-layer. At 6' and my fighting weight of 220 lbs, I tend to 'wear' this yak as opposed to sitting in it, but it fits well. Love the large hatches, for getting gear in and out, the "dashboard" with compartment to keep my id/cash/doc/cell/camera/keys waterproof bag in and that it's so easily accessible. The deck bungies keep my map case and fishing pole secured and within reach. It is a bit heavy for a carry at 50 + lbs, so keep that in mind. And larger people may want to check the cockpit fit before buying as anyone much larger than myself might experience difficulty getting in and out. All in all, I think this was a great purchase for the money and completely useable. Luv this thing.