Submitted: 08-07-2000 by John Sarff

I've owned my Summersong for about five years. Soon after I purchased it, with only 10 hours or so "practicing" under belt, I took it for a week long solo trip in the BWCA. It's not a voluminous boat, but to my surprise, it handled one person's gear and food just fine, split in two smaller packes fore and aft. As I recall, it's a David Yost design, and I've always been amazed at how well this boat slips through big waves. I got myself into some windy conditions on that solo trip, and the Summersong served me well and kept me dry, even though I'm sure it's primary design is pleasure paddling. Nowadays, I mostly use it for casual paddling, but I long for another trip up north. Just haven't found the time since fatherhood. I'm not sure how this rating system works, but for casual paddling I'd give it a 10. It's really a fast cruising canoe that's a lot of fun to paddle. For wilderness tripping, I've proved it can be done, but be wary of load limitations. I'd rate it an 8 for this use. By the way, my model has the adjustable foot rest and seat (always set to the lowest position).