Submitted: 12-20-2010 by ayyguy

This is one awesome kayak! Pretty quick and stable too even with a 23-1/2" waterline width. The first day I bought it I took it straight to the intracoastal and went for a paddle. I did 4 miles in an hour at my normal pace even while stopping for a couple of sips of Gatorade. The kayak is slim so even with my high angle paddling style and the Werner Ikelos paddle I didn't bang the side of the kayak very often.

The kayak is very low volume and low profile so the wind did not seem to cause any weathercocking at all. The turning ability was good and the low profile deck did allow waves from some yachts to splash over the front but the vertical dam in front of my feet kept the water out of the cockpit.

I tested its stability by sitting sideways and allowing the 2" to 2.5" yacht wakes hit the kayak sideways, other than getting soaked when the wave drenched me and filled the kayak with water it was VERY stable and I would feel confident in the ocean with this kayak. The seat is very low in this kayak but the self-bailing scupper valves seemed to work flawlessly, some paddling and the water gets sucked out of the drain valves. It was a very dry ride for a sit in!

The kayak has foam bulkheads front and back so plan on adding deck hatches to the center part for extra storage and access to extra items you might add such as rod holders etc. It also paddles a straight course very well as the bow design gives it a very long waterline.

OK, now for the cons:
  1. I am 6' and 230 pounds with short legs (30" inseam) and the footpegs were at the furthest position but still comfortable. anyone with longer legs may have to remove the pegs to get the extra 2 inches.
  2. No attachments to carry it by the side, so plan on adding extra loops and use a shoulder strap to make it easy.
Overall this is one of the best SOT kayaks I have paddled so far in the intracoastal. Check out my Youtube video. It pretty much shows the kayak and its details. It is sitting next to my Dagger Echo 14 and Perception Prism for size comparison.