Submitted: 12-11-2010 by rikjohnson
Addendum:
I reviewed the Jetboil some time ago and after using it for some time, I wanted to add a few things.

First, you CAN cook in it. I toss chopped bits of beef jerkey and dehydrated peas and carrots to help them soften while the water boils.

YES, on a couple occasions the ignitor failed to light. But that was an isolated incident and I used a lighter with entended wand to light the burner. and the next meal, the ignitor worked fine. I have no ideas on this.

I did melt the plastic around the burner while trying to time it over Veterans-Day. I wanted to see how long it took to boil a set amount of water compared to my Optimus stove. I admit that what happened was a) a fluke and b) my fault. I put the jetboil on my porch out of the wind and I guess the heat reflected and concentrated and melted the plastic around the burner.

As a lark, I wrote an e-mail to jetboil and got a reply within minutes. They gave me a repair number, I packed the thing off the next day and about 3 weeks later got the repaired burner back. Too late for my 4-day/3-night on the Colorado but hey, that is why I own an Optimus.

I find that I CAN cook on it using my normal cooking pots BUT there are rules.
1) never set the pot ON the burner. Hold it above the flame and
2) keep moving the pot to keep the heat even. Yes, it takes some time this way and my arm did get tired but it worked.

So the bottom line is that if you are careful, the jetboil can do a lot.