Submitted: 12-07-2010 by AGB1111

I travel to a remote part of Fiji on an annual basis. The waters along the coast are quite protected making the entire coast perfect for a sea kayak. But I needed one that I could easily pack up for transport by local bus and to be stowed away while I was away. Finally as that section of the coast is very tidal it was necessary for the boat to be robust enough to be dragged over sand and coral.

The Advanced Frame convertible kayak meets all my needs. I have used it for several coastal expeditions of a week or more. We have improvised a simple sailing rig to assist when the wind is from astern (it's pretty hopeless on a reach as there's no centerboard and the boat tends to drift to leeward) with the plethora of tie down points, stowing gear is easy and provides lots of options for rigging the sail.

While no greyhound, the boat has proved to be a novel solution to a particular problem