Submitted: 12-06-2010 by JMK

I purchased this kayak used and have been using it for 1 season so far. This is my first step up from a recreational kayak to a touring kayak. I purchased the boat because I day paddle very frequently in the spring/summer/fall, and we typically take a 3 day kayak camping trip every year.

Here is what I like: the boat is quite stable and comfortable. Even when the whitecaps are flinging over the deck I don't get that "I'm going swimming any moment" sensation. Also there is the opportunity to move my legs and feet around so that I can change position a bit and not stiffen up on a long paddle. I also like the capacity that the boat has. It can handle the tent, sleeping bag/pad, clothes, food, and misc. gear for a 3 day trek without having to strap so much on the deck that I feel like a pack mule.

The thigh pads and foot pedals are comfortable. The seat itself is comfortable (but not as comfortable as our old Dagger). The tracking seems to be fine, except in heavy cross winds. I do not have the optional rudder which might solve that issue. The speed of the Kayak is OK, but not fantastic. I think that speed is the tradeoff for the comfort and capacity of the boat. Still, when I go paddling with friends speed is never really an issue. It still travel a heckava lot faster than my recreational kayak.

If your kayak use is similar to mine then I would recommend looking at this boat.

Sawyer Paddles: