Submitted: 12-03-2010 by PW

My wife and I purchased the Adventure 16 for its versatility. We cruise around the marina with and electric motor in the evening and it functions as our dingy for our liveaboard. In November we took it to the Okefenokee for a Wilderness trip. The water was low and we had to use a push pole to navigate over fallen trees and cypress nobs.

This thing is like a tank. The low water meant a congregation of alligators. Counted up to 60 a day, some very large. We felt quite safe in this canoe. It carried all our gear comfortably and and was very stable. My wife and I are long time kayakers and the initial stability issue that some speak of made us feel right at home. The old swivel hip technique becomes a right brain thing very quickly.

The hull design provides great forward speed, from 6 to 10 miles a day in a swamp with very little effort except when we had to break out the push pole.

By the way, for you fishermen, I mounted a Hummingbird fish finder in the boat with an in hull transducer. A little marine goop on the floor under the middle seat and 24 hrs later its there to stay. The wires and the personal water craft 12 volt battery cannot be seen. It also provides about 14 lbs of ballast. I fish out of it by myself quite a bit and I like to paddle from the stern seat. I put a collapsible 5 gal water container in the bow and it makes solo paddling in the wind a non issue. Great boat!

New York Kayak Co.: