Submitted: 11-11-2010 by BruceK
I purchased the Pilgrim from Sea Kayak Georgia in October 2010 during BCU Week. I was looking for a play boat for rough conditions and surfing. First I test paddled a P&H Delphin at Sea Kayak Carolina. After all the hype I "knew" this would be my new play boat. Boy was I disappointed after my test paddle (on flat water). In the surf it may be great, but on flat water it was too stable, too hard to edge and too slow. A great beginners boat but not what I was looking for.

When I first saw the Pilgrim I new this was NOT the boat for me. You know, all those quality issues, and those funny looking knee bumps. And then I test paddled it in surf off Tybee. What a GREAT boat! It had all the speed I needed. Easy to edge and VERY stable on edge at only 19.75" wide. So easy to roll! A great surf boat that could catch the waves, stay under control and take me on the best rides ever.

After a week at Tybee in surf from 3-6 feet I am in love with my Pilgrim. So much so I am planning to sell my Nordkapp LV. I just do not take trips and have discovered I prefer a shorter boat. I purchased the standard layup so I can be rough with the boat. It weighs 55 lbs, not light. But after going airborne off a six foot wave and landing hard I was glad to be in a NDK hull.

I give it a 9 because of the weight and because it does not turn as quick as my Nordkapp or my wife's Avocet. By the way, I am at the top of it's weight range at 160 lbs.